World Class National and International Experience
An unparalleled success record in Marketing, Advertising & Media
Increased revenues, grew market share and boosted brand awareness for industry leaders Coca-Cola, GM, Porsche, MasterCard, Bristol-Myers/Squibb, Colgate-Palmolive, Nabisco, Kingston Technology, DIRECTV and S.C. Johnson Wax, and dozens of Fortune 500 companies among others.
Blending creative vision, marketing ability, advertising expertise, media savvy and a passion for innovative excellence, developed and implemented winning marketing/advertising strategies and product launches for diverse multinationals in US, Latin America, Europe, Asia, and Africa.
Can contribute immediately by:
- Translating client objectives into creative solutions to deliver value by increasing sales & share
- Transforming consumer insights into deep understanding of purchasing process
- Creating messaging platforms that straddle traditional, digital and mobile media
- Building highly motivated teams focused on exceeding business goals
- Designing innovative approaches to increase sales in challenging markets
- Expertise in branding, digital and direct
CEO & Founder – Iffective LLC (2013)
- Strategic Advertising Consultancy.
CEO/Left Brain – Montaño + Salup (2012-13)
- Launched Equifax’s first campaign in the U.S. Hispanic Market and achieved 40,000+ visits/month to website.
- Launched Family Financial Educational Foundation.
- Created campaigns for the Red Cross and Bancaso. Increased Bancaso’s conversion ratio from 2.6% to 12.6% in 6 weeks.
CMO – DMG Solutions (2009-12) – Responsible for DIRECTV Hispanic effort and media strategy for all other accounts. Directed new business development and strategic planning for non-advertising businesses. Managed $22M budget. Active as a Management Consultant in 2013.
- Negotiated, planned, bought DIRECTV Mas, the largest spot advertiser in the Hispanic Market. Achieved over 300,000 calls per year and over $150mm in sales.
- Launched several new products in the Direct Response arena (from business plan to execution)
VP, Media & Strategic Planning – Siboney/USA (2008-2009). Directed strategic planning, media planning, buying and implementation for all accounts (Miami + New York) and new business. Managed $24M budget.
- Reorganized and stabilized a media department that had had 300%+ rotation in five months.
- Achieved savings of $2.5M for major clients in 1H 09 through renegotiations.
- Led the new-business effort that won the first new business in almost 3 years
Managing Director – Universal McCann (2007-2008). P&L responsibility for Pan Regional Latin American, Central America and Caribbean. Served as brand partner for MasterCard and GM. Managed $20M budget and 40 staff
- Brought back Miami office to break-even from 6-figure losses.
- Added Embratur (Brazilian Tourist Org) and Embraer (Jet Manufacturer).
Managing Director – GrupoUno,(2006-2007). Full-service, integrated marketing communications company with offices in 10 countries in Latin America. Led all agency divisions: Advertising, Event Creation, Public Relations. Managed strategic planning and media for all agency clients and New business within $25M budget.
- P&L Responsibility for accounts ranging from advertising, to PR, to production.
- Acquired new media assignments from Porsche, Kingston Technology, AOC, others.
Executive VP/International Media Director – Foote Cone & Belding (2000-2005). Direct responsibility for all Latin America media. Matrix responsibility for Europe, Asia/Pacific, South Africa. Created standalone media units through global acquisitions. Integration of FCB and Initiative media operations. Managed $2.2B budget and 140 staff.
- Created JVs/ acquisitions in UK, Germany, Colombia, Venezuela, Chile, Dominican Rep and Hong Kong.
- Successfully retained the SCJ account ($40-$50M) against larger competitors with no sacrifice in revenues.
- Re-engineered FCB’s Latin American integrated media departments into competitive unit which won media AOR’s from Polar (Venezuela), Banorte, Bimbo, GM (Mexico), Familia (Colombia) and others ($100M+)
Senior Vice President/Regional Media Director (Latin America), Foote Cone & Belding, (1995 – 2000).
- Won media AOR and assignments from S.C. Johnson Wax ($40M), Nabisco ($25M), Bristol-Myers/Squibb ($25M), Beiersdorf ($9M), MasterCard ($10M) and others.
- Created media specialist units in Venezuela, Puerto Rico, Mexico, Colombia, Uruguay, Chile that increased FCB.s competitiveness in each local market and allowed us to retain media billings in excess of $150M.
- Top ratings (4+) from major clients such as SCJ, Nabisco and more.
VP/Regional Media Director (Latin America) (Mexico), Foote Cone & Belding, (1991-1995). Created an integrated media planning and buying software implemented in five countries. Successfully launched Plenitude by L’Oreal, Colgate Total, Nike Mexico, Levi’s Mexico.
VP Area Media Director (Southern Cone), McCann-Erickson Argentina (1996). Part of team that relaunched GM in Argentina, achieving all sales targets (33,000 units). Launched Quatro for Coca-Cola.
- McCann-Erickson Mexico – VP Media Director.
- D’Arcy Masius Benton & Bowles – Creative Director, Media Director.
- deRojas, Salup + Partners – President.
- Latin ADmerica, Inc., Miami – Account Executive.
- Publicidad Siboney Dominican Republic (FCB) – Creative Director.
- Publinsa/Kenyon & Eckhardt (Madrid, Spain) – Chief Copywriter
Education and Professional
- Earned a Masters in Communication and BA in Advertising and Marketing from the University of Madrid.
- Fluent in English and Spanish, conversant in Portuguese and basic French and German.
- ADDY Awards (creative) for Amoco Premium Lead-Free (Miami) and American Dairy Association (Chicago)
- Internationally-recognized speaker in: Strategic Planning; Future of Media; Segmentation and Targeting